Pregnancy in College
You’re Not Alone
We understand and care about the unique challenges that students face with an unplanned pregnancy and we are here to support you. Many students have been where you are right now and have found positive solutions at Gateway. Helping you as a student with your unplanned pregnancy is our specialty.
You may be feeling…
Many students have expressed a variety of feelings when they’ve first found out they are unexpectedly pregnant. It might help you to know that others have shared the same feelings.
- In a haze
- Frozen and don’t know what to do
- Feelings of fear and shame
- Frightened to tell parents and what they’ll think
- Do I have to drop out of school
- This is not what I planned for my life
- Will I lose my scholarship
- I cannot see my way forward
- I’ve screwed up
Did you know…
- Pregnant or parenting students are protected by law from discrimination as both students and athletes.
- Grants are available for parenting students
- Financial aid awards are protected for pregnant students.
- Athletic awards may be protected for pregnant students.
- You cannot be kicked out of school for becoming pregnant.
- Students cannot be kicked out of campus housing for becoming pregnant.
- You are allowed medically necessary absences from the classroom.